Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Computer Love...(and occupational hazards...)

Hello SweetShoppers!

So lately I've been getting a lot of blog love, and I just wanted to share some of those links with you...

First up, Artistic Expressions By Elizabeth profiled me here, as part of an ongoing series. Every Monday Elizabeth profiles someone of color in the craftosphere, and this week it was lil' ol' me! Many thanks to Elizabeth, and to those of you who click over, check out her blog! Elizabeth is quite the elite crafter herself and one of the more positive people I've come across on the web.

Speaking of positive people, I've also been profiled by Knitella, who did a mini-interview on me here. Knitella's doing a similar series, profiling bloggers and crafters in the Greater Manchester area and I was fortunate enough to be asked some questions for a post. Make that TWO posts, actually...Knitella's got a jump start on the Christmas gift rush and also featured me in her Christmas gift guide here. Once again, check out the whole blog...some truly inspiring crafters have been featured on her site recently, as well as the work of Knitella herself!

Last thing...I'm keeping a close eye on the worldwide Occupy protests. They're of particular interest to me because I am, of course, part of the 99% (albeit a very fortunate segment of such) and also because at heart, they seem to be about one of my pet issues--the issue of paying people what they're worth for their work. This is part of why I started doing SweetShop Creations--it's one part supplementary income, one part charity donations, and one part sociopolitical statement. 

That said, I've long wanted to write eloquently on the subject but recently I stumbled across WhatTheCraft.com and discovered that resident seamstress/designer/DIY faerie Lex has already said what I wanted to say, far better than I ever could.

So, to end this post, I'd like to encourage you all to go over to THIS LINK and read about the creative process and cost balancing that goes into making a handmade item of clothing. Then come back here, comment, and let me know what you think.

Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment